2.16.2011

Mornings...

I'm not a morning person.  As a matter of fact if I could sleep in until 8 or 9 every morning that would be alright with me. Unfortunately, I don't have the bandwidth to sleep in. I actually have to do mom stuff like wake children up, get them dressed, feed them (which I'll admit is something I forget since I'm not a breakfast person either), take them to school or daycare, so on and so forth. I actually dreaded this part of parenthood when I was little...if that tells you anything about how much I dislike mornings. OH! The other horrible thing about me is that ever since I had pneumonia, I don't like to drink coffee...so put me in a setting where I have to get up around 5 and give me coffee which I'm not so crazy about anymore and it makes for a slightly annoyed start to a day...and by the way...whoever came up with the title 'Morning Glory' annoys me...so far there is nothing glorious to me about mornings. Maybe by the end of this post God will work that out of me. 


Yes I have a point...(I think). All morning I've been quoting this verse over and over in my head: Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days. Ps 90:14 Over and over in my head I keep saying it...I realize there are some great scriptures about morning, but I'm beginning to wonder if there is something about mornings that really pleases God. The dawn of a new day. The opportunity to 'start over'. The fragrance of morning, renewal...awakening... The reminder of what it must have been like to be a part of creation. The idea that He has a constant souvenir of that moment and it's the dawns FIRST rays of light. Beautiful. A new day...an opportunity for someone to hear the good news: there really is salvation. Hope that someone would grab hold of the deep desire on His part that none should perish. And then...there is this title: Morning Star. It's a lot to throw into a morning, especially when you're not a morning person. 


So what's this rant all about? Well it's supposed to be encouragement to start your day off right. You see when we take time at the end of our day to have our quiet time, usually all we're doing is asking for forgiveness...well I am anyway. This thing about mornings, the idea that we get to start over, it's empowering. Add to that the most important part of it...spending time with the One we love. Casting our burdens for the day at His feet. Resting in the renewal of His dawn and allowing the Morning Star to bring light and warmth to our soul. There is something good about mornings. So to start our day off right...(well mine anyway..if you need to come back and read this tomorrow MORNING then I say do it!) here are some scriptures about morning: 


Job 7:17-19
17 “What is mankind that you make so much of them,
   that you give them so much attention,
18 that you examine them every morning
   and test them every moment?
19 Will you never look away from me,
   or let me alone even for an instant?



Psalm 30:4-5
 4 Sing the praises of the LORD, you his faithful people;
   praise his holy name.
5 For his anger lasts only a moment,
   but his favor lasts a lifetime;
weeping may stay for the night,
   but rejoicing comes in the morning.



Psalm 59:16-17

16 But I will sing of your strength,
   in the morning I will sing of your love;
for you are my fortress,
   my refuge in times of trouble.

 17 You are my strength, I sing praise to you;
   you, God, are my fortress,
   my God on whom I can rely.



Revelations 22:16
 16 “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you[a] this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.”


Yep...there must be something about mornings. I'm willing to be inconvenienced to find out, EVEN if that means 5 am is the time to do it. Are you?


Love you all,


Sara

No comments: