2.01.2010

Words of petition

As is custom on the nights I'm exhausted and believe I might actually get to sleep...Biscuits...my sweet boy who is 18 months old today...decided he would not. I got up several times throughout the night to take him what I thought he needed, or find his papo (otherwise knows as passy) but nothing seemed to work. I was thinking how crazy it was that the Bug was speaking in full sentences at this age, and it was SO much easier. He has a LOT of words and more than ever they are starting to take literal flight, but he's still just our baby...and I like that.  At about 2:30 in the morning though...we were on round 4 or 5 getting up...which I have to tell you before you all start giving me parental advice...I don't do often. I had a feeling that something must be wrong, so I was being extra attentive. So just know I'm not an overrly protective, give my baby anything, jump at every noise mama! Anywhoo...I was laying there listening to him A - GAIN...and all of a sudden...there it was "Baba...baba...mama...baba" I couldn't believe it! He was asking for a bottle! I could HELP! Whoohoo! I flew down the stairs and loaded a bottle with milk, warmed it quickly and ran back up the stairs to rescue my sweet boy who was obviously hungry...don't even start on me about the fact that he's 18 months old and is still drinking out of a bottle...


Later in the morning as I was resting my head on my pillow, thinking the night away...I started to wonder about our first words of petition. When we prayed for the first time...did our Father just jump up and down for joy! Was He elated when He heard us speak to Him for the first time...even if it was for a Pretty in Pink Barbie? Or for the boy that we so wanted as our boyfriend and were certain we would die if God didn't force him to fall in love with us right there on the spot! Whatever the first time we've prayed, or even now when we pray,  words of petition bring so much more to the table. I have to believe that in some way...even if we aren't on the right path...or if we're asking for something that isn't what we need...or if all we EVER do is ask...I have to believe that somewhere in the heartbeat of Heaven there is rejoicing because we haven't given up acknowledgement of our Creator. 


There are times too when, as I said Biscuits doesn't articulate his words well...eh-hem...and I would give anything to have someone say...listen lady...he is sick and tired of being in the house and is requesting you get him goldfish crackers and take him on a walk...something like that. Do you remember that scene in Up when they realize the dogs can talk through their voice boxes? I need one of those for him! There are times when we ourselves have this ongoing thing in our heart that we can't verbalize. We know the bulk of our request, the pain surrounding it...but we just don't know what to pray for. What then? Our hope is this..the Spirit intercedes for us in prayer and takes everything our heart would verbalize and lays it at the feet of the Father. He is our translator giving God the whole of what we request and what we seek.  Romans 8:26 says In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. I love that 'with groans that words cannot express'. I have to tell you I have spent plenty of time on my face, tears soaking the carpet, and no words can fill the room...only sobs. There is such peace in knowing, I don't have to verbalize it because the One Spirit who is active and living in me is at that moment, racing to the thrown room to lay my heart at the foot of the king, and He in turn will quiet it:


Zephania 3:17 says:
The LORD your God is with you,
       he is mighty to save.
       He will take great delight in you,
       he will quiet you with his love,
       he will rejoice over you with singing."



Are you feeling lately like you just don't have much to say? Do you feel like a parakeet constantly repeating the same thing? Say it again. He WILL take great delight in you. It doesn't say He DID...it says He will...


I know from emails and comments and women at church...there is so much pain painting the skies of this world. There are petitions to be made. Don't think for one second our Father is too busy, not interested, or hasn't heard you because He hasn't answered. He rejoices over you. He will calm your heart, and I promise He is mighty to save. But don't take my word for it...ask Him yourself.


I love you,


Sara

3 comments:

Brandi said...

Love it Sara! It is so comforting to know that when I am unable to verbalize, He is there. This is a great reminder that He is always listening to my requests, even though I feel like they are bouncing off the ceiling (like my house selling)!!! Great way to start a Monday!! Thanks!

Sharon said...

Excellent!!! I love your analogy! What a picture you painted that said so much!

Wow! Totally loved it!

*Erica* said...

While reading this I can feel peace rush over me. I feel like sometimes I have so many requests that I don't even know where to start or how to put everything into words, it's so awesome to know that God hears our words, whether we speak them or not. And that sometimes when I feel like my quiet time is redundant and not worthy, God rejoices every morning when I rise at 545am to come and meet with Him. I just love Him so much. His mercy and love for us amazes me on a daily basis.

I hope you get some sleep tonight, friend ;-)

AND we have school tomorrow...the kids are devestated. We have missed 4 days this school year already due to snow and the winter's not over yet! This has actually been a mild year, though, last year we missed almost 2 full weeks due to a major ice storm that knocked out power all around us. So we were thankful for just snow this time!