2.23.2010

Holding on to sand...


I'm not going to lie. I've been stressed lately. I have been fighting a battle for a long time with other people's perceptions and keeping idols where they shouldn't be kept - a lot of times those idols live in how I'm viewed. There are other things too though...like the more tangible things...this economy is killing us right now and it's time to make some decisions. The hard ones. The ones that change the course of your life...or maybe not. MAYBE...what I'm holding on to is not THAT big of a deal. MAYBE it's like trying to hold on to sand...

If I picked up an arm full of sand and squeezed it with everything I had, that would be the equivalent to what life is like in the world of material possessions. Not only are we cautioned about building our house on the sand...but we're also told to store up our treasures in Heaven (thank you Amanda for reminding me). How eternally appropriate: Matthew 6:19-20 Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 

I'm not sure what battle you are up against today. I wish I could pray all of your pain and my pain away quickly...but that isn't 'of' this world. We live in the fleetingness of this place and everything about it is temporary...unsettled...unnatural...all I can say is I'm so grateful Heaven awaits us. So grateful.


Unchanged in the world of His mystery
Holds the treasure our Father secures
Finding peace in the sea’s of His mercy
Let the waves wash my pain off His shore
This world I know all too well now
And it’s shadowed by mysteries above
This agony my day brings to find me
Is eased by the hope of His love
Rest in eternal redemption
Swim in the oceans of grace
Where no pain and sorrow will find me
Only the smile on my sweet saviors face

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Great post! I can so relate. I feel like we're wearing the same pair of shoes. Our wallets around here have been empty for such a long time... and it's only (seriously!) God Alone that's kept us afloat and kept us from drowning.

"Holding on to sand"... amen! Only our Heavenly Home is guaranteed. God, indeed, is our Rock, our Refuge (and Provider) in our great need!

P.S. I'll be praying for you.