4.02.2010

Update on Shaun Hicks

Sorry it has taken me so long to send you an update on Shaun.  Most of you already know my mother’s friend Laura’s son was in a very serious accident on Tuesday.

I mistakenly told some of you he was a senior in High School, but he is actually a Freshman at the Jr. college in La Junta. Doesn’t make this any easier of course but I wanted to give you the right facts. Shaun had a very long surgery Tuesday night.  They have put his spinal column back together with 2 rods and 8 screws.  The dr. does not give much hope that he will walk again.  He does say that the spinal cord was not severed but very severely damaged.  Shaun's other injuries are a collapsed lung, a broken elbow and shoulder, his spleen was punctured, and some bumps and bruises.  

This family definitely has a very long road in front of them and I cannot imagine being 19 and faced with such hardship. Yesterday Shaun’s sister told me he is very much in pain and very uncomfortable. He has a neck brace on that they won’t let him take off till they know his neck has not been injured and this is causing him a ton of discomfort.

I did see the family last night and Laura is one of the most kind hearted people I've met. She just radiates Christ. I love that.

I'll be out of touch for the next few days ans we are headed to my parents for Easter weekend, back on Tuesday (yay!). 

Thank you all for checking back so often! I'm leaving you with a song that signifies what our walk should be as Christians. Love you all! Have a SPLENDID weekend. 

Sara




No comments: